From Psychology to Physics: Mr. Carroll Joins Bishops

Mr.+Carroll%2C+who+came+from+Virginia%2C+has+recently+joined+the+science+department+to+teach+physics+to+freshmen.+
Anna Yang ’26
Mr. Carroll, who came from Virginia, has recently joined the science department to teach physics to freshmen.

Avid long distance runner Mr. Dan Carroll recently moved from Arlington, Virginia, to join the Bishop’s faculty as a Conceptual Physics teacher. Though he stumbled upon his new job by chance, he has quickly adjusted to Bishop’s, and finds the school to be a great place. 

Q: What made you choose to get into physics and science? 

Well, that was a long time ago. So, in college I was a psychology major, and then I was working in the business world as a salesperson selling copier machines. And I didn’t really enjoy that very much, so I started thinking of other career paths. In college I had done some education courses, but I had decided not to pursue teaching. And after working in all these, I realized that I thought I would like to be a teacher. I like that challenge. And then it was a matter of deciding what subject I wanted to teach. I’ve always liked school: I love English classes, and I like science classes. And I just thought about which science I thought would be the most intriguing. Since I was a psychology major, I had to go back to school to get a science degree. 

Q: What is your favorite part about teaching? 

There are so many, I have so many favorite parts. This is my 32nd year, so I really love almost everything about it. I think that getting to meet new people all the time and trying to engage them is what I find most interesting and fun. I really like the challenge of trying to always think of new ways to approach the topic, and find new ways to help people learn physics.

Q: Do you have a favorite school lunch here so far? 

Favorite school lunch? Yeah, I don’t know. I’ve really enjoyed all the lunches so far. I generally try to eat vegetarian.

Q: What do you like about Bishop’s in general?

It is very friendly and welcoming. Just the whole, it’s hard to describe. Even when I came for the interview last year, and I came to a demonstration lesson, my sense was that it was a welcoming, supportive place. 

Q: What do you enjoy doing outside of school? 

I run. That’s my source of enjoyment. I’m a long distance runner. I mean, I love going to the beach. I love to go to museums. I love the zoo. San Diego is a great city. I know it’s very nice. But I really enjoy running. 

Q: Have you been running for a long time? 

I ran in high school, and I ran a little bit in college, but I didn’t get to stay on the team. Last year, I ran my 15th marathon. I also just qualified for the Boston marathon last year too.