Sydney’s Suggestions: Ramen in San Diego

The best ramen spots in San Diego
Sydney Chan
This was my bowl from Ramen Nagi, where you can really customize the spice level, amount of bamboo shoots, and more, exactly to your liking. The broth is unbelievably flavorful, and I can’t wait to go back.

With Winter Break comes cold(ish) weather, and there’s nothing better for cooler temps than a bowl of savory noodle soup. San Diego has been upping its ramen game recently, serving up some new delicious bowls that ooze with flavor. So without further ado, grab your chopsticks and your soup spoon — let’s dig in.

1. Ramen Nagi – 4301 La Jolla Village Dr Suite 2033 (Westfield UTC)

I exited the elevator from the parking garage, on my way to go play pickleball one evening, when I saw what seemed like a mile-long line in UTC. For a second, I thought there was a celebrity pop-up of some sort, but I was later told that the rave was for Ramen Nagi, a previous Tokyo Ramen Challenge champion and globally-known ramen spot. The next day, we were prepared and stood in line to get a coveted table at this incredible spot. Both of the managers that we met that night were incredibly friendly, and the food was top-notch. The karage (fried chicken) was fried to perfection, with a slightly savory aioli and lemon slice, and the ramen was unbelievably flavorful. At Ramen Nagi, you’re able to customize every aspect of your bowl, from the spice level to the noodle size to how much pork belly you want to devour. I’m a spice god, as you all know, and the spicy paste and broth made at Ramen Nagi is unmatched — the soup is so deep and rich that you’ll have to actively remind yourself not to swim in it.

2. Rakiraki Ramen & Tsukemen – 4646 Convoy St., #102-A

My family and I have been going to Rakiraki for years; it’s a super solid spot in Convoy and is never not crazy busy. For those of you who like your classics, the Original Hakata Tonkotsu hits every time. But for those of you looking to make your meal a little more interesting, I couldn’t recommend the Black Edition Ramen enough. The broth is flavored with organic garlic oil that has been roasting with natural bincho charcoal for 18 hours to bring out that unmistakable garlic flavor, with an added smoky essence. It’s crazy good.

3. Karami Ramen – 3860 Convoy St #118

This little hole in the wall is truly something special. My dad, younger sister, and I stumbled upon Karami while in the area, and it’s now one of our favorite spots to grab a quick, delicious meal. The service is fast, and there is rarely a wait. Our favorite appetizers are the pork fried rice and the curry rice. As for the ramen, we love the Miso Tonkotsu, Kuro Truffle, and Curry Shoyu.