Sunshine and Smiles: Kendall Lucas, Director of Annual Giving

Meet Kendall Lucas, the School’s new Director of Annual Giving
Director+of+Annual+Giving+Kendall+Lucas+is+a+warm+person+with+a+bright+smile+%E2%80%94+a+great+addition+to+the+School%E2%80%99s+Advancement+team.+
Emeraude Westlake
Director of Annual Giving Kendall Lucas is a warm person with a bright smile — a great addition to the School’s Advancement team.

Director of Annual Giving Kendall Lucas is a new addition to the School’s Advancement team. Originally from Huntington Beach, California, but now having spent most of her life in San Diego, Ms. Lucas is diving into her new role at Bishop’s. She had a long, successful career at Point Loma Nazarene University — climbing up the ladder of alumni relations all the way to Executive Director of Alumni and Annual Giving — and she hopes to also reach new heights in our community.

Q: What brought you to Bishop’s?

I had been at the same place of work for my entire career. I worked at Point Loma Nazarene University before coming here. So, I was really just looking for an opportunity to do something new and expand the work that I had been doing. 

I applied because I was looking to expand my work in annual giving — my expertise, [alongside] fundraising. And when I met with the team here, they were just amazing people, and it just felt like a good fit for me. 

Q: Having started in March, you have some experience at Bishop’s already. What is your favorite part about the School?

I think the people have to be the best part so far! I [really loved] the warm welcome I’ve received from the administrators, from faculty and students and staff. It’s been amazing to be welcomed so warmly here.

Q: After some research, I saw that you worked a long time at Point Loma Nazarene University. Would you please tell me about your previous work there?

I went to Point Loma Nazarene as a student. And when I graduated and when I worked there as a student, I worked with the alumni team quite a bit, just on a volunteer basis and as a student worker. I was really interested in the storytelling that you got to hear from alumni, whether it was stories about their alma mater and about their time on campus or what career path they chose. I just was really surprised by how fascinated I was with people’s stories. I was a music major, and now I’m doing fundraising — I think that’s a fascinating journey. 

When I was at Point Loma, I started at the very bottom of the alumni team, so I was the Alumni Communications Coordinator, and I worked my way up to be Executive Director of Alumni and Annual Giving when I left. It was a great start to my career, learning as I went. I learned every facet of that place. And I think it’s really given me a good foundation for bringing my work here to Bishop’s. 

Q: What are your passions?

I sang musical theater in college, that’s what I went for. I studied vocal performance and got my degree in vocal performance — [so I’m] definitely passionate. I love going to performances, plays, musicals, concerts, those kinds of things. I also have a 12 year old son at home, so he and I love to explore and get outside.

Q: What is your favorite thing about San Diego?

The beach. It has to be the beach. I grew up in Huntington Beach, California, and I think I’ve been here by the beach so long in my life that I can’t leave. I live down in Point Loma near a beach called Kellogg Beach. So my son and I, after school or after work, try to go swimming in the ocean as often as possible.