• Find our print issues at issuu.com/thebishopstower
  • Have an article idea? Email us at [email protected] to share.
  • Issue 04 is now published both online and in print!
The Student News Site of The Bishop's School

The Tower

The Tower

The Tower

A Friendly Face in Bishops’ Math/Science Department: Mr. Marco Aquinde

Sydney Chan
Mr. Marqo Aquinde is dedicated to making his classroom a place “kids look forward to going to.”

It’s hard not to smile back when someone’s smiling at you –– Mr. Marco Aquinde is joining the Bishop’s middle school math and science team from his previous role teaching at High Tech Middle Chula Vista and may have one of the warmest smiles on campus. A lover of rock climbing, acapella singing, and Ben and Jerry’s ice cream, you’re bound to have a great conversation about a variety of topics with this new friendly face.

Why did you decide to become a teacher? Why did you choose to specialize in math/science?

When I went to college, I originally was pre-health/pre-med [major]. I always had a heart for service and serving my community. However, I felt like my parents were pushing me in the direction of health because it’s very lucrative, but that wasn’t quite what I wanted to do. In my senior year of college, I had the opportunity to serve rising ninth graders from the greater Los Angeles area. It was the most exhausting week of my life. But it was also so rewarding, seeing the small impacts that I could have on students for just that one week. And so, I knew that education was something that I had to consider. I graduated with a degree in science, and my first teaching job was an integrated math and science position at a middle school. While my background is in science, I’ve spent the past three to four years learning how to teach math to kids. I feel like I’ve developed a subset of skills specifically for math, but I’m really passionate about science. 

Although you’ve only been at Bishop’s for a couple of weeks, what do you like the most about our community? 

I love how passionate, kind, and curious all of the students are, and I love, specifically in the sixth grade, the community aspect. I don’t know if at my former schools you could get almost all of the sixth graders to sing along to “Sweet Caroline” or “I Want It That Way.” There’s a really special vibe here.

Which Bishop’s tradition are you most excited to experience?

The Blessing of the Animals. I have a dog; he’s a Shiba Inu. He’s more of a cat than he is a dog, but I’m really excited for him to be a recipient of the blessing, especially since I don’t know that he has many years left.

When you’re not teaching, how do you like to spend your time?

I really enjoy singing, and I also really enjoy different forms of movement. I like rock climbing. I’m not very good at it, but I enjoy it. I like running and going to the gym. I feel like mental health is so connected to physical health. If I’m physically well, I’m mentally better.

I read on the Bishop’s website that you had the amazing opportunity to sing at Carnegie Hall. How did that happen? What was the experience like? Bring us back to that moment!

In college, I was involved in an acapella group. There is a college level championship for singing, like the [National Collegiate Athletic Association] NCAA, called the ICCA [International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella]. They have this organization called Varsity Vocals that puts on the event, and they started a non-scholastic competition, meaning you don’t have to be associated with a school to compete. Wth a couple of friends, after we graduated from different acapella groups from Los Angeles [in the fall of 2018], we formed a group and we entered the competition. We placed second in our semifinal, and then first in a wildcard round –– it was really intense. And so, we got to perform in New York, and it was the coolest experience. I was, of course, really nervous, but it felt like an honor to share the stage with so many talented people who’ve performed in Carnegie Hall.

If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?

I love raw fish in any shape or form, so ceviche, poké, and sushi. If I had that menu offered to me, my life would be great. But I think between those three, probably poké.

What’s your favorite ice cream flavor?

I love Ben and Jerry’s Strawberry Cheesecake.

Do you follow sports or a specific sport regularly? If so, what’s your team?

Growing up in a Filipino household, specifically in California, I feel like the team that I was born into was the Los Angeles Lakers. But now that the Warriors have come onto the scene, it seems like California split into Northern California Filipinos and Southern California Filipinos. I still follow the Los Angeles Lakers and more recently, I’m kind of a bandwagon fan, but I have gone to a few Padres games, and I do enjoy the Padres.

If you had the chance to give a TED talk on any subject, what would it be?

I don’t know that I am an expert on this yet (it’s something that I am working towards), but since we’re in school and I’m a teacher, I’d want to give a talk on how to transform classroom spaces to be places kids look forward to going to. These are places that would be more joyful than they are dreadful.

View Comments (1)