Farewell, Mr. Goltsman

Orchestra and Jazz Band Teacher Mr. Vladimir Goltsman is leaving Bishop’s after teaching musical performance to students for 13 years. He plans to focus on teaching students one-on-one in his private studio, and entertains the possibility of being available to teach Bishop’s students as a substitute, if needed. He says, “I’d definitely like to refresh my performance capabilities in concert and chamber music.” 

Mr. Goltsman’s last concert with Bishop’s was the Jazz Concert on Wednesday, May 1. After the concert, there was a gathering in the courtyard where a video played of current students and alumni thanked him for his contribution to their music knowledge and passion and their performance skills. 

Mr. Goltsman expresses gratitude to the Bishop’s faculty and staff for making his experience memorable. Additionally, he credits his students for sparking his personal growth in the music realm and the technological realm. When he arrived at Bishop’s in 2006, he played clarinet, saxophone, and piano. During his time teaching countless students, he has added flute, violin, guitar, bass guitar, and drums to his own impressive instrument resume. 

Mr. Goltsman related this mutual learning as the best part of his Bishop’s experience. “Teacher teaches student. But sometimes student teaches teacher.” Bishop’s thanks Mr. Goltsman for his significant influence in the orchestra and jazz band program.