• Find our print issues at issuu.com/thebishopstower
  • Have an article idea? Email us at [email protected] to share.
  • Issue 04 is now published both online and in print!
The Student News Site of The Bishop's School

The Tower

The Tower

The Tower

Shubh Diwali!

South Asian Bishop’s families share their culture by celebrating Diwali, the Festival of Light
Isadora Blatt
When Bishop’s students walked into the chapel during the week of Diwali with bare feet and foreheads adorned with bindi, they were greeted by bright decorations and an altar to the Goddess Lakshmi.

For Hindus, Jains, Buddhists, and Sikhs, Diwali –– the “Festival of Light” –– means a time of family gatherings and lively traditions. The holiday represents the victory of light over darkness and a chance to start another year right. On Thursday, November 9th, South Asian Bishop’s families put on a schoolwide celebration immersing students in their culture.

“It’s a time to eat really good food,” Rithvik Raguram (‘24) emphasized, “and a lot of my family travels in from out of town, so it’s always fun to spend time with family that you don’t get to see very often.”

Bishop’s parents helped serve samosas and other delicious South Asian food at lunch. Multiple Bishop’s students agreed that the food is the best part of Diwali. (Isadora Blatt)

Another important aspect of the celebration is festive clothing. “I love getting dressed in Indian clothes,” said Leela Zaveri-Tabb (‘25). “With friends and family all coming together, that part is always fun.” On Thursday, bright clothing was encouraged, and students could also stop by the henna station run by parents. Henna is a ceremonial art form with plant dye used in Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism, and many other cultures.

Eleanor Meyer (‘26) gets henna artwork done on her hand during lunch. (Isadora Blatt)

Dance is a central part of the Diwali festival. “It is a form of self expression in Indian culture,” Sanskar Lohchab (‘24) said. He explained that the celebration of new beginnings comes with the need to feel as genuine to yourself as possible, and dancing is a way to find that connection. “There’s dance everywhere on Diwali, because it is a symbol of joy in our community and within ourselves,” he said.

Students and faculty learned Bollywood choreography and danced to lively traditional music. (Isadora Blatt)

“Diwali was really stepped up a notch this year,” said Leela. “To me, Diwali means home, and it made me so happy to see my culture represented so that everybody can see how beautiful it is.”