Lisa-Approved: Binge-worthy Shows

My top three shows to binge-watch anytime!

For some (shamelessly including me), summer break means irregular sleep schedules. The culprit? Extremely good TV shows. There are a few special shows that will suck you into their fascinating stories and refuse to let go until you finish them completely. Some have charismatic and witty protagonists; others have high stakes (both dramatic and silly); and my personal favorite have an iconic sense of humor to each scene. So without further ado, grab a blanket and some popcorn because you’ll need to be comfortable while binge-watching these shows!

Wednesday, now one of Netflix’s most popular shows, combines both elements of comedy and horror to create a rollercoaster of a tale, intricate, complex characters, and an intriguing mystery. Each move in this show was subtle yet smart, and whether you can predict the mystery or not depends on you! For some, it’s obvious, for others, not so much! (IMDb)

1. Wednesday (on Netflix, one season, ongoing, TV-14)

Wednesday, starring Jenna Ortega as protagonist Wednesday Addams, is a supernatural, investigative, and comedy-horror show. The show follows 16-year-old Wednesday as she enters Nevermore Academy, a school for outcasts, and she starts to suspect that something sinister is endangering the lives of her peers. She works as a detective, piecing together each incident that has occurred in her town to help solve the mystery. 

For this show, Ortega won the MTV Award for Best Performance in a Show, the Kids’ Choice Award for Best Female TV Star, and the Kids’ Choice Award for Favorite Family TV Show. Wednesday has also been nominated for Emmy Awards, Golden Globe Awards, and more!

I watched all eight episodes of Wednesday in one night, and then proceeded to watch it two more times — all in the span of 24 hours. In fact, according to Forbes, Wednesday is Netflix’s third most-watched show with over one billion watch hours. The phenomenal acting, as well as executive producer Tim Burton’s subtle foreshadowing clues (which you’ll have to find on your own), set this show apart. While Burton only directed 4 out of 8 episodes, his signature spooky style is imprinted throughout the show. The first episode effectively recounts Wednesday’s backstory, helps the viewer familiarize themselves with the magic and fantasy in Wednesday’s world, and provides the perfect catalyst for a nail-biting mystery. Each character, no matter how different from each other, changes in ways that are unique to their own desires and challenges. However, this character development does not thin out the intensity of the plot or the comedic relief between scenes. The result of the mystery itself, while slightly predictable to experienced The Addams Family (1991) viewers, is a perfect finish created from scattered, tiny threads all coming together to create a thrilling ending. 

There are many theories about what will happen next season, but I expect a new villain to emerge alongside a familiar sidekick (who I can’t name for the sake of spoilers), more powerful than the first. Tim Burton’s clues have got to lead somewhere!

Never Have I Ever is a show that many students rave about. Here, we follow Devi through her high school experience: naive pursuits, friendship dramas, laughable accidents and all! While comedy-drama shows like these can often slip too far into shallowness, this show pulled my heartstrings from behind the screen. (IMDb)

2. Never Have I Ever (on Netflix, four seasons, completed, TV-14)

Never Have I Ever, starring Maitreyi Ramakrishnan as Devi Vishwakumar, is a comedy-drama TV series. Devi begins the series as a 16-year-old sophomore with a traumatic backstory of losing her dad right in front of her eyes. Her dream for her high school career is to finally complete the bucket list of a so-called cool girl, and when all is done, become less invisible to her schoolmates. 

I binge-watched all four seasons in 20 hours straight because each episode ended with such a cliffhanger. Straight from the get-go, the characters’ personalities are very defined, and the relationships between them are incredibly complex. As I followed Devi through her rollercoaster-like high school journey, I could almost feel my stomach flipping! This show had me squirming with excitement one moment and sobbing my heart out the next. Given it’s centered around teenagers, this show definitely has silly and distressed moments, both of which season four wraps up very sweetly and perfectly.

Ginny & Georgia first caught my attention through clips on TikTok, where opinions on both Ginny and Georgia’s complex character arcs and personalities created fan-wars in the comment sections. While this show can be unrealistic, the different yet similar stories of both Ginny and Georgia are expertly weaved together for an emotional story. (IMDb)

3. Ginny & Georgia (on Netflix, two seasons, ongoing, TV-14)

Ginny & Georgia, starring Brianne Howey as Georgia Miller and Antonia Gentry as Virginia “Ginny” Miller, is a teenage drama show with an infusion of comedy, in which 15-year-old Ginny and her 30-year-old mother, Georgia, move into the upscale New England town of Wellsbury, hoping to find a place to settle down after a history of constantly moving from town to town. 

I binge-watched both seasons in one afternoon. What kept me clicking “Next Episode” was the show’s seamless weaving of heart-wrenching moments and other fun carefree scenes. Personally, I don’t believe that the scenes are very realistic, and it does reach a little far from the modern teenage experience. There are exaggerated public displays of affection, such as Hunter, a popular boy in school, tap-dancing in the middle of the hallway for his girlfriend, Ginny, her friend group (“MANG”), and the rest of the school.

However, looking past that, the most intriguing part of Ginny & Georgia’s plot for me was the younger Georgia’s story, when the viewer learned the context and factors that made her the mother and woman she is today. Many of her scenes are bittersweet and really showed the nature of motherhood through Georgia’s fierce spirit. The best thing about this show is that both mothers and daughters can relate to the emotions displayed by both Ginny and Georgia. With all the fans freaking out about how the second season ended – full of uncertainty and drama – I expect to see a confession of lingering secrets and a struggle to win back trust, yet again!

Whether you love blood and gore, chaotic and exhilarating high school stories, or tales of distress and conflict, these three shows will surely draw you in. Follow Wednesday through her spooky Nevermore mystery, Devi through high school aspirations and frustrations, or Ginny and Georgia through motherhood and teenage dilemmas, and you won’t be disappointed! New watchers, be prepared for plot-twists, some second-hand embarrassment, and tear-soaked tissues. Re-watchers, consider returning to these fascinating tales to refresh yourself before new seasons come out, or to get a hint of nostalgia.

View Comments (1)