New Knights on the Quad!

Conversations with our newest Bishopians

Sydney Chan

Seventh graders Davide Berti, Tom Adelizzi, and James Lila are eager to start the year as official Knights. “I’m [ready] for a new adventure!” Tom shared.

Dear fellow Bishopians, it’s that time of the year again. With some teachers already assigning assessments and fall sports well into their respective seasons, school is officially back in full swing. For returning students, this year may be the one in which you really push yourself and set some goals; and for those who are stepping on campus for the first time as a Bishop’s student, there is a lot to get excited about!

Bishop’s hosts Matriculation on the second day of school each year, a well-known tradition formally welcoming our newest community members with choral performances, staff speeches, and the famous signing of the Great Book. A new school year is exhilarating for everyone, but especially for the new students, introducing a vast variety of new teams and clubs on campus to join. And thus, the mission was as clear as day: to get to know our newest Knights with some fun questions!

Interviewees include seventh graders Davide Berti, Tom Adelizzi, and James Lila; freshmen Bella Bravo, Kali Mahone, and Isabelle Torralba; and junior Sienna Garza.

• Let’s start out with the most important question of the day first: how would you describe the chocolate croissants we enjoyed during Matriculation, and what would you rate them on a scale of one to 10?

Tom: Oh, that’s hard because they are really good! I’d give them a nine.

Davide: [The chocolate and the croissant] was a good combination. Seven.

Sienna: On a scale from one to 10, I’d say a 7.8. Chocolate and bread is always a good idea.

Kali: I thought they were really good; I would rate it a 10/10!

• What sorts of feelings were bubbling up inside of you when you walked down the aisle during the ceremony?

Tom: I was excited to start at a new school for a new adventure!

James: Slightly intimidated, but excited for the school year.

Bella: It was definitely [exciting]. It’s really cool that the school has this kind of welcoming [ceremony], where every student signs this book, and you feel like you’re becoming a part of something.

Isabelle: I felt everyone’s eyes on me, so it was a little nerve-wracking; but I also felt [excited]!

• What are you most looking forward to for the school year?

Davide: Probably period X, because I get to choose [from a wide variety] of things to do, like sports and Bishop’s Rocks [the School’s middle school band].

Bella: The people that I’ve already met are ridiculously nice and super welcoming, so I’m excited to get to know the rest of my grade and the rest of the school.

Sienna: I’m really anticipating the start of clubs. I can tell that the school is really advanced, with great teachers and a good curriculum. I’m excited to see all that I learn, because I really like all of my teachers!

Isabelle: I’m looking forward to retreats and just getting involved with other things, because I know there’s a lot to do here! Brooke [Fitz Cluster (‘23)] told me about the ziplining [at PALI]!

Kali: Probably the sports aspect—I’m looking forward to playing basketball and field hockey, and making new friends from that.

• What clubs/teams have you joined so far and/or are looking to join in the future?

Tom: I’m planning on doing flag football and cross country.

Davide: Basketball and maybe Bishop’s Rocks!

Bella: Field Hockey, speech and debate, and softball for my spring sport. It’s going to be so exciting!

Sienna: Volleyball and lacrosse.

• What’s a Bishop’s rumor that you’ve heard that may or may not have surprised you when you actually got to the School?

Davide: I heard that the seniors will spray you with a hose if you go on the lawn!

Bella: The magic of the garlic bread!

Sienna: That Bishop’s is a really competitive school and that everyone is really advanced academically.

So without further ado, a big welcome to all of our new students! Returning students are looking forward to introducing you to all of the great things the School has to offer, so please don’t hesitate to reach out to anybody if you have any questions! It’s going to be a great year. Go Knights!