Bishop’s Seniors Nominated for Basketball All American

Courtesy of @aangierobles on Instagram

Angie Robles (‘22), Renee Chong (‘22), and the entire Girls’ Basketball team continue to make Bishop’s proud on the court.

She dribbles the ball with menacing speed, dodging the blockades of opponents in front of her. She wears the maroon jersey with pride as she makes one final jump, landing firmly on the court while the ball goes right in the hoop. Moments like that are common for star Bishop’s basketballers Angie Robles (‘22) and Renee Chong (‘22). Recently nominated to play in the McDonald’s All American Games, they have been nationally recognized for their accomplishments.

Angie and Renee, jerseys one and four respectively, have both played on the Bishop’s Girls’ Basketball team since 9th grade. In their senior year, they are currently widely known as two of the best players in San Diego County. In fact, according to the La Jolla Light, Angie averages 29 points per game with seven rebounds, and Renee averages 21 points per game with ten rebounds.

Because of their county-leading performance in the game, they were both recently announced as nominees for the McDonald’s All American Games, among 760 high school seniors nominated to play from all across the country. Also nominated in the West division were five other high school seniors from San Diego, hailing from San Marcos High School, Cathedral Catholic High School, and Patrick Henry High School.

The games will be played on March 29 in Chicago with final teams yet to be announced. The final teams are expected to be 24 players from both the East and the West, and were announced on Tuesday, January 25. Unfortunately, neither Angie or Renee were chosen for the final teams, but to them, it was just an honor to be nominated.

“To be a McDonald’s All American is the highest recognition you could get as a high school student. It’s pretty cool to get nationwide recognition and I’m so honored to be nominated,” Angie said. “I was so excited and I didn’t expect [the nomination] at all. We’ve both put in a lot of work throughout our entire basketball careers, and [being an All American] is something we’ve talked about since day one,” Renee told KUSI News.

“What makes it so awesome is that professional NBA superstars were nominated and played in the games when they were in high school,” Angie added. “Think of LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, and even one from Bishop’s: Destiny Littleton. She plays for the University of South Carolina now,” she said.

And while the All American Games may come and go, both Angie and Renee have much to look forward to in their basketball careers. The Bishop’s Girls’ Basketball team is still playing out their season, and both Angie’s and Renee’s talents were on display at a recent game against Academy of Our Lady of Peace. Angie scored 38 points while Renee scored 25 points, leading Bishop’s to a 78-37 victory. Angie was also named “Player of the Game” in the Private vs. Public Showcase, contributing to a 74-62 win over Carlsbad High School.