• Find our print issues at issuu.com/thebishopstower
  • Have an article idea? Email us at [email protected] to share.
  • Issue 04 is now published both online and in print!
The Student News Site of The Bishop's School

The Tower

The Tower

The Tower

Lent: Bishop’s Perspectives

What does the season of Lent mean to students at Bishop’s?
Isadora Blatt
Riley Brunson (‘24) decided to give up Starbucks, which she “relies on a lot,” for the 40 days of Lent this year.

Today, self-improvement is more popular than ever. New fitness trends such as the 75-Hard are constantly circulating, and the U.S. skin care market has grown to generate 20% more revenue over the past four years, demonstrating a new fixation on self-improvement. In this context, what are Bishop’s students doing to improve themselves during Lent?

Lent, a season of reflection and self-discipline, is a centuries-old religious tradition that begins on Ash Wednesday and ends on Holy Thursday, before Easter. During these 40 days, people from many Christian denominations abstain from something of their choice, and this action is meant to represent repentance and to foster a deeper connection with one’s spirituality. For Christian Bishop’s students, Lent means a variety of things. 

In past years, Ripples Turquand (‘24) would usually vow to be a better person for Lent. “That was kind of my way of cheating out of it, though,” she said. This year, she decided to start eating much healthier by giving up processed sugar. “I absolutely love sugar and I have a massive sweet tooth that I take after my grandpa,” she said. “So I wanted to do something that might seem really easy to others, but it’s actually very hard to me.”

Ripples reflected that it has been difficult so far, but a good test to see if she can make it to Easter. “Turning 18 made me realize that this tradition has been passed down to me for a reason,” she said, and explained the importance of understanding how to struggle through difficult times in her religious beliefs. “So I thought I should push myself to do something really hard for 40 days, which is really small compared to how long a year is,” she said.

Riley Brunson (‘25), among a few of her friends, decided to give up Starbucks. “For me, Lent is a time to reflect on my life and what adds to or detracts from it,” she explained. “So my friends and I decided to give up something that we feel that we rely on a lot.”

Similarly, Spencer Ralph (‘24) decided to give up coffee. “I don’t know if I can do it for the whole time,” he laughed. “It’s like a new year’s resolution — you always think about doing something, but it’s hard to actually do it.”

For Spencer, religion is largely about community. “As a Catholic, I would say I practice my religion for the sense of familiarity,” he said. “I got confirmed because a lot of my friends were doing it, and from there, I got much more involved in my youth ministry.” The important part of Lent, for him, is the challenge of holding each other accountable. 

Plus, Spencer described that Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent, offers him a fun opportunity to see who else is Catholic by just looking around campus at the ash marks on foreheads. Marcus Buu-Hoan (‘24) agreed, “it’s a nice physical representation to remind you of what you practice.”

Emma Madany (‘24) is taking a creative approach and doing a “personality revamp” for Lent this year. “I’m trying to be more patient, trying not to complain as much, trying to be less of a hater,” she said. Emma explained that her reasoning behind the idea is to be in accordance with the theme of humility. “Lent is a nice reminder that as long as you’re a good person, any suffering is temporary.”