An Adventure to Save the Marvel Cinematic Universe

A review of Loki Season Two, filled with unsolved mysteries, finding one’s true purpose, and exploring a new world.
Loki+%28Tom+Hiddleston%29+and+Mobius+%28Owen+Wilson%29+travel+to+the+1893+World%E2%80%99s+Fair+in+Chicago%2C+Illinois+to+find+a+He+Who+Remains+variant%E2%80%94+their+last+hope+to+save+the+TVA.+
Photo courtesy of Marvel Studios
Loki (Tom Hiddleston) and Mobius (Owen Wilson) travel to the 1893 World’s Fair in Chicago, Illinois to find a He Who Remains variant— their last hope to save the TVA.

“I know what I want. I know what kind of god I need to be. For you. For all of us,” Loki says as tears form in his eyes in the season finale of Loki season two.

A review by The Guardian said, “This is easily the best Marvel TV series in years – for all that’s worth.” The season two finale had a IMDB rating of 9.5 while the whole series had a rating of 8.2 and is the first most popular TV Show. On Rotten Tomatoes, Loki had a 87% rating. 

Loki’s season two finale had a whopping 11.2 million global views in the first three days of its release, which was a 3% increase from season two’s premiere episode. It is also the second most viewed finale on Disney+, only behind the Season three finale of “The Mandalorian.”

Created by Michael Waldron and based on Marvel Comics, Loki season two, aired its final episode on Disney+ on November 9, 2023, after six episodes. The season was filled with surprises, ups and downs, and it continued the brilliance of season one. 

Like season one, Loki season two features Tom Hiddleston as Loki, Sophia Di Martino as Sylvie, Owen Wilson as Mobius, Gugu Mbatha-Raw as Renslayer, Ke Huy Quan as Ouroboros, and Wunmi Mosaku as Hunter B-15. It is mainly about Loki finding out about the Time Variance Authority (TVA) and its purpose. Loki season two also aligns with the movie Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania with it reintroducing Kang the Conqueror. 

In previous Marvel movies with Loki, he is portrayed as a villain who just wants a throne. He is known for his favorite line to introduce himself: “I am Loki of Asgard, and I am burdened with glorious purpose.” In Loki season one, the first episode is titled “Glorious Purpose” while the season two finale is also titled “Glorious Purpose,” a little easter egg, suggesting that his life goes in a full circle and he finally gets his “glorious purpose.” In this series, the audience can get to know Loki a bit more and see that he is more than just an evil villain.

Additionally in Assembled: The Making of Loki Season Two, Kevin Wright, Executive Producer, commented that “he’s [Loki] gonna get that throne he always wanted, but it’s not in the way that he ever anticipated… The first 10 years of movies with Loki were about the glory. He was a villain, he was chasing a throne. This season is about him learning that his glorious purpose is to carry the burden of everyone else.”

Loki season one is part of Marvel’s Phase Four, which consisted of The Falcon and The Winter Soldier, WandaVision, Hawkeye, and other movies. Loki season two is part of Phase Five, consisting of Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania, Secret Invasion, Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3, and many more. In an interview on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Tom Hiddleston commented on the season finale saying it was “also the conclusion to six films and 12 episodes and 14 years of [his] life.” Tom Hiddleston isn’t certain whether or not he is done playing Loki. In an interview with Brandon Davis, Tom Hiddleston said, “I think I’d be unwise at this point to be conclusive about any of it.” So, there may be a chance that Tom Hiddleston will return. 

Ouroboros (Ke Huy Quan) sits in the Repairs and Advancements Department while he creates a device to try to save the Temporal Loom, which holds the Sacred Timeline: the natural flow of time. (Photo courtesy of Marvel Studios)

Loki season one was about Loki’s theft of the tesseract in Avengers: Endgame and how he was taken to the TVA, a place with no time, “for crimes against the Sacred Timeline,” as Hunter B-15 said to Loki. Additionally, Loki meets Mobius, who then asks him to help the TVA catch a Loki variant, Sylvie. Loki then draws the conclusion that the TVA isn’t what it seems to be as Sylvie was kidnapped at a young age by the TVA, and that they plan to branch the timeline into a multiverse. At the “end of time” when Loki sees He Who Remains, the creator of the TVA, Loki finally sees the purpose of the TVA, but it was too late for him to stop Sylvie from killing He Who Remains.

Loki season two is a continuation of season one with it mainly focusing on finding Sylvie, Renslayer, and Miss Minutes by going through the multiverse that was created through the increase of branches on the Sacred Timeline. But they also try to save The Temporal Loom, a device that holds together the Sacred Timeline. They are on a mission to save the TVA, a place that Loki once hated.

Natasha Alva, a critic for Rotten Tomatoes said that “Season two of Loki overcomes the uneven patches that inundate the earlier episodes to conclude with a powerful, bittersweet finale. The best thing to come out of the MCU [Marvel Cinematic Universe] in recent years.”

Loki is a series that should be watched, especially by Marvel fans. But it is a series for almost everyone as it is suspenseful, full of mysteries, plot twists, and easter eggs — and most importantly has great characters that develop as the story progresses. As Kevin Wright said, Loki “step[s] up from a lowercase-G god to capital-G god.”