Sunset Knights: A Homecoming Dance to Remember

Yina Shate (’26)
A sea of Knights wading around the dance floor.

Homecoming dance is not only a welcome sign to the fall season at Bishop’s, but also a precious memory in ninth through twelfth grade Knights’ highschool lives. This year’s homecoming, Sunset Knights, planned by the Associated Student Body Council (ASBC), aims to be a “stress free night away from [students’] studies” according to ASBC Co-Advisor Ms. Nicole Uhland. The other ASBC Co-Advisor, Ms. Dolores Williamson hoped students would attend the dance “from beginning to end…” and students did just what she had hoped for. 

Both Ms. Uhland and Ms. Williamson also loved seeing the “hoco asks” on the ASBC Instagram Hoco-Ask account where pictures of dates and their posters were shared.

In the early afternoon of October 7th, 2023, Bishop’s high school students started getting ready for their homecoming dance set to take place at the New Children’s Museum in Downtown San Diego. With homecoming as the cherry on top to an eventful Spirit Week at Bishop’s, let’s now take a look at what our fellow Knights did on Saturday to prepare. 

2:00 – 5:00 pm: Knights polishing their armor  

Hours of meticulous preparation later, it’s showtime.  

5:00-6:50pm: The continuous sequence of group photos commenced and Knights finally began arriving at the venue. Located snuggly between popular waterfront destinations like Seaport Village and the famous historic Gaslamp Quarter of Downtown San Diego, the New Children’s Museum provided the perfect venue for Bishop’s homecoming activities. 

7:00-9:00 pm: Let the dance begin!

As cliche as it sounds, it was a “bittersweet” homecoming dance as Serena Zhang (‘24) reminisced. She expressed how everyone loved how “cohesive” and “accessible” the dance felt as a whole. The location felt “fresh and new,” and the crowded dance floor “honestly made for some fun interactions.” For her and many seniors alike, processing the fact it was their last homecoming “only really sunk in after [the dance].” In the end, it was a night full of students belting music, taking photos, and making memories; this time next year, it will all repeat again.