Bishop’s’ Latest Home Run

Meet Mr. Bryan “BK” Santy, Bishop’s New Athletics Facilities and Equipment Manager, and Baseball Coach!

Reagan

Mr. Bryan “BK” Santy is a team player and number one fan to Bishop’s students!

Coming from a family of baseball enthusiasts, Athletics Facilities and Equipment Manager and Baseball Coach, Mr. Bryan “BK” Santy, has inherited the “ultimate team player” gene. Mr. Santy is well versed in the game, having played in college at the University of Washington and professionally for the Minnesota Twins, and he is looking forward to encouraging and helping Knights to achieve their goals—both on and off the diamond. 

Q: What is the story behind your nickname (“BK”)? How did [it]  stick?

A: I think [that] right when I was born, I think it was my grandpa or my uncle [who] just called me ‘“BK.’” So I don’t remember it at all. And then from a young age—around 4—when I had my first memories, everyone called me ‘“BK’” or ‘“Beeks.’” The only people that ever called me “Bryan” [were] my mom when I was in trouble and my teachers before they got to know me. 

Q: How did you come to love baseball? Where did that passion start?

A: My dad. My dad’s a die-hard Yankee fan—he was born in New Jersey. But from a young age he got me involved in the game, and never pushed me or forced me to do it, and I just fell in love with it. I played other sports growing up, but baseball I enjoyed the most. My grandpa [on] my dad’s side loved the game. He played professionally back in the 40’s…He pitched for the United States Marine Corps during his service time. My family had a love for the sport; I had a love for the sport because of them, and to this day I still have a love for the sport. 

Q: Do you consider your dad a big mentor in your life?

A: Yeah…He was such a great dad. He never forced me into anything, he encouraged me, pushed me in the right direction at times, and didn’t put any extra pressure on me. I think that’s kind of shaped who I am as a teacher [and] as a coach. I try not to put added pressure on anybody, but believe encouragement and positive vibes will ultimately help them achieve whatever it is they want to achieve. Baseball, like the academic rigors of the school here, [and] like life—can be extremely hard! Sometimes it’s really hard. So I’m not a big believer in adding extra pressure. I think trying to take some of that pressure off is usually the way to go.

Q: What’s the best piece of advice that you’ve ever been given?

A: I had a coach when I was at [the University of] Washington tell me…“work hard and have fun.” If you can work hard, you’ll get to where you want to get to, and if you can have fun, you’ll enjoy [the] process of getting there. I know it’s really simple, but “work hard and have fun” blankets everything I believe in. I want to have a good time, but I also want to get some things accomplished and I want to grow. That combination’s important to me.

Q: What is your biggest goal in being an educator? How do you take all your life experiences and put them into how you educate and how you are who you are at this school?

A: Ultimately, I want to help kids and people achieve whatever it is they want to achieve. I want to prepare them for the physical and mental demands that life will ask of them. Baseball’s the avenue, so obviously I want to help them improve on the baseball diamond, but I always tell our guys, “I want to help you become men—boys into men.” Let’s get better at baseball, let’s win some games, but the big ticket item is developing character and helping them grow into kind, robust men. If I am doing it right, we will all grow and we will all enjoy being out there together, working towards a common goal. I want them to feel like they’re getting something out of it. And if they never pursue baseball again after playing one year with me, I hope that they can take something learned within our group and apply it to their life.

Q: Are there any specific things that you value in character? 

A: Yeah I think the biggest piece for me is effort. It doesn’t matter how skilled you are, how talented you are, none of that. If you can show up every day, give the team your best effort, be a good teammate—and we’re all pulling the rope the same way—then we will accomplish something bigger than winning games. Because ultimately, at the high school level, yes, these kids want to win, I want to win, but it’s so much bigger than winning a game. It’s about developing character and instilling a discipline of giving your best, regardless of circumstance.

Q: [Are] there any other things that you want the Bishop’s community to know about you?

A: I’m excited to be here. I’m excited to make an impact—whether that be a large impact, or a small impact. And I’m particularly excited to get to know the students and hopefully help them in whatever way I can—just [helping] them learn how to “work hard and have fun.”